Antifreeze warning!

As the temperature drops more and more of us are topping our car radiators up with antifreeze. While it may help to keep your car running, what you may not know is that antifreeze is very very poisonous to cats and other animals. Just a tiny amount can be fatal.

Antifreeze might smell like a potent chemical to us, but to cats and other animals it’s sweet and tasty and they will lick it up if they find it.

Make sure you keep antifreeze bottles in closed cupboards with the lids on tight. If you spill any, even the smallest amount, clean it up immediately making sure you’ve rinsed it all away.

Get rid of unwanted antifreeze responsibly. Don’t just tip it down the sink, find out the best place to take it so it can be recycled or disposed of safely. Contact your local household waste recycling site for advice. If you’re not sure where that is, contact your local council.

The first signs of antifreeze poisoning can start to show very soon after they have ingested it and can ultimately lead to kidney failure.
If you think they may have come in contact with antifreeze or any other chemical or substance that should not be ingested, or if you see any of the following symptoms, don’t hesitate. The quicker you get them to the vet, the better.

  • Obvious pain
  • Sleepy, drunk like, uncoordinated
  • Fits / seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination